It is currently 2024-04-18 / 00:08 UTC GMT +00:00

Revision Desert Locust Fan Goggles

• Author

DrunkenTeddy

Member in Good Standing

Revision Desert Locust Fan Goggles

Post2014-06-24 / 14:55 UTC GMT +00:00

So lately I've been pretty fed up with my goggle situation. I have bought 6 or 7 different pairs of goggles, two pairs have been decent, one is a set of dual pane empire paintball goggles with Gunny's fan system attached, and the other was a very basic set that I drilled a bunch of 5 mm holes to add airflow. Recently I'm finding that the empire goggles are too bulky for my liking, and the other set somehow crystallized between the two panes and now its all blurry to look through. I decided I would bite the bullet on a pair of high end goggles. After reading a ton of reviews I decided to order the Revision Desert Locust Fan Goggles and a thermal lens. I'm told the fan and the thermal lens are redundant, but in our climate, and especially at MRP I figured I better get both. I ordered from https://www.revisionmilitary.com/ and used a discount code I found online "FANS" for 30% off.

Build quality (9/10)
So the first thing I noticed when I pulled these out of the box was how well built they are. The material used everywhere on these things feels high end and tough enough to take a beating.The only thing I don't really like about the build is the attached pouch/bag/lens protector, after attaching lower face protection it became completely useless other than to keep the back of my head a little warmer, which I see as a down-side, so I cut it off my set.

Comfort (8/10)
These goggles are fairly comfortable, I have not gamed with them yet but in just wearing them around they feel pretty good, the strap has a rubber backing on it so it stays in place fairly well without you having to tighten them too much. I tend to find foam padding against your face more comfortable than the rubber they use on these, but all in all they feel pretty good.

Fogging (3/10)
I will update this after Saturday's game, but I have tried to get the thermal lens to fog by breathing heavily directly onto the lens or running a hot shower with them nearby, neither of which could get the lens to fog at all, and that was with the fan off. I imagine even if you did get these to fog a bit turning the fan on should clear it up. Many reviews I read talked about how quiet the fan is, some even said they couldn't hear it without putting their ear right against it, this is not the case with my pair, maybe I got a rare noisy fan or maybe those people were just talking it up a bit too much. The fan isn't terribly noisy, but it's definitely not whisper quiet as many reviews seem to indicate. It has 3 speed settings and the controls for it are easy to use, even with a glove on.

Conclusion (5/10)
I will update this after gaming the set, but from what I can tell I'm not sure I needed the fan goggles. Just the regular Desert Locust goggles and a thermal lens seems like it would do the trick nicely, but we will see how that goes after I game them. The thermal lens seems like a must for these, if i breath heavily on the regular lens they come with it fogs up immediately. I've also heard people remove the foam that surrounds the goggles and covers some holes, but with a fan setup I think it's best to keep the foam.

Update: Used these goggles on the weekend and I am no longer happy with my purchase. For the first 30 minutes I had no fog at all and everything was very clear, but after 30 minutes of moderate movement the goggles began to fog, I turned on the fan but it didn't seem to slow down the fogging at all. As others have stated in this post these are just not good enough for our humid environment, especially on a day with light (or worse) rainfall. I will probably sell this pair to someone who doesn't live in BC and get going on rigging up another set with fans and air holes.
VFC Noveske M4 - Echo1 Platinum M16 - G&G Top Tech RK47 - Ares Stoner LMG
TM MK23 Socom - KJW Glock 23 - KJW P226

Crash

Admin

Admin

Re: Revision Desert Locust Fan Goggles

Post2014-06-24 / 18:15 UTC GMT +00:00

I played with the Dessert Locust's on Sunday. The day was quite warm and a little muggy so you all know what climate I was playing in. Wearing a fast helmet was another factor in the goggles performance. I had just ordered a thermal lens and seated it into the frame.

Started off at spawn point. Game on signal. Walked to a point to where we figured there would be contact. Bingo fight is on. After repeated re-positioning(jogging from point to point) the goggles started to fog. The lens started to steam up from the outside and worked it's way almost to the center over the eyes.

I figure due to the low profile of the frame, that fits just under the brim of the helmet. Caused a restriction of airflow. Thus steaming the lens up. I really doubt that a fan would work in my case due to the already tight fit of the helmet in relation to the goggle.

Conclusion: guess it is back to the JT Spectra's. Yes they are bulky but it beats playing with %60 vision.

Claymore

Admin

Admin

Post2014-06-25 / 04:48 UTC GMT +00:00

Boys boys boys!

Crash your right even with the Thermal lens in our conditions you're going to fog sorry there's nothing you can you about it unless you have fans running. If you're moving around that field no matter what field back-and-forth up-and-down round and round if you get your heart rate beating you going to fog. If you can keep your heart rate down your body temperature regulated no running around waiting back and moving slow then yes Thermal lens will work perfect for you.

As I have already said in other posts for the desert locust revision , ESS, Smith optics, any of those low-profile goggles you need the 18mm. Fans mounted internally so if you're wearing a helmet it's not obstructed and in my experience taking the foam off the whole frame you get Dust and bugs coming in like crazy.

Now for our Asian comrades Revision and Smith have sets of goggles that fit that profile much better and more comfortable and safer. The Asian fit goggles require 16 or 17 mm fan I just set up Styz with a set pretty sweet.

The 17 mm fans I found the challenge is the wire is so fine that I think I need to find another source for them they are the only ones that will fit in the Asian fit goggles.

Teddy & Crash If you can make it on Saturday I'll show you the fans I'll. I'll bring you a set.
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB.
BA L3 Certified Sniper.

DrunkenTeddy

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-06-25 / 15:37 UTC GMT +00:00

Well crap. I'll try it out as is on Saturday and see, hopefully it works well enough with the built in fan, but I will let you know either way.

Crash

Admin

Admin

Post2014-06-25 / 17:33 UTC GMT +00:00

The goggles work well with out the helmet on as the air still has the ability to circulate through to speed up evaporation. They do fog a little if you are active but not hat bad.

Claymore i would like to have a look at that fan setup.

bushman

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-06-25 / 19:06 UTC GMT +00:00

Have you tried the thermals with anti fog wipes too? It would be nice not to have to use fans. No matter what fans are loud enough to impair hearing, at least a little which still makes a difference to me.
Some people think I am trying to be sneaky, its really that my eyes are not as good and I have to make sure its a tree and not the enemy! Trees do not call hits. I have shot a few.

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Post2014-06-26 / 03:15 UTC GMT +00:00

In regular JT Spectra goggles, I like the fan performance but definitely hate the noise. Though most of the fogging I have lands on my glasses.

What about the risk of scratching the lens? Does the lens coating attract dust or grit?

Informational note: I think that local supplier DS Tactical (refer to Retailers list) sells Revision, but I don't know about the prices-- LMAG members will get a discount. The main thing about that is you might be able to get your kit without delay.
Steyr AUG EOD / FN P90 - Bullpups
Linux - my OS is an Abrams tank

Greatness is only a matter of will. It is the end result of patience, determination, direction, and strength. [JMS]
UrT - ETQW (Constructor/Oppressor) - Nexiuz // VE7DET
301 admins

bushman

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-06-26 / 17:30 UTC GMT +00:00

What about these, the price is way better.
http://www.milsig.ca/masks-goggles-gogg ... lack-p-799
Some people think I am trying to be sneaky, its really that my eyes are not as good and I have to make sure its a tree and not the enemy! Trees do not call hits. I have shot a few.

DrunkenTeddy

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-06-26 / 18:07 UTC GMT +00:00

bushman wrote:What about these, the price is way better.
http://www.milsig.ca/masks-goggles-gogg ... lack-p-799

I have 2 sets of those, the fan doesn't do much and they fog fairly easily. Not the worst I've used but far from the best.

Claymore

Admin

Admin

Post2014-06-27 / 03:51 UTC GMT +00:00

I personally have not used them but faded ran with them for about two games before he had enough of it.
I replaced it with one of my 18 mm fans and no more problems Quitter too.

So just Buy a regular pair of ESS goggles ($20 - $24) and install a 18mm fan and u are ready to get all hot & sweaty and good to go.
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB.
BA L3 Certified Sniper.
Next

Return to Equipment Reviews