It is currently 2024-04-19 / 21:24 UTC GMT +00:00

Winter and AEG's

• Author

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Winter and AEG's

Post2013-12-09 / 18:47 UTC GMT +00:00

Winter is upon us. With the colder weather there are a couple of things to consider before your next Airsoft outing.

1). Cold weather battery performance:
Cold weather has an effect on battery power and life. Individuals who are using NIMH or NICD batteries, expect your batteries to lose power rather quickly. Bring another battery with you on the field in case you need to perform a mid game swap.
LiPo battery users can also experience a faster battery drain due to sub zero temperatures. Higher MAH and higher discharge batteries in the winter months is what I have found to work the best for my setups.

2)Cold weather and your gearbox shell:
Your gearbox shell does nothing but keep the internal guts of your AEG in place as well as take a lot of abuse from the constant banging of your piston. Colder temperatures mean that your internals are cold as well. Gearbox shell failure is rather common in the winter months because a cold/frozen gearbox shell is weaker than a shell that is getting used in 10+ degree weather.
Things to do to help prevent gearbox failure in the winter,
Install weaker spring, (lower FPS means less stress on internals)
Install sorbo pad on cylinder head.
ImageRadius the gearbox.

3) Hop up.
In cold weather your hop up will have less effect on the bb. Best thing to do is get a SOFT bucking for the winter months. Soft buckings tend to stay malleable in the cold weather and still gives your bb decent game able hop.
Charge your batteries, grab your kit, I’ll see you on the field

Cheers-
Gunny

Airmax

Member in Good Standing

Re: Winter and AEG's

Post2014-02-05 / 18:50 UTC GMT +00:00

Good read, however I am going to comment that NiMh batteries almost power out most of the time in cold weather but NiCD's do very well in colder weather. I have used both over the years and seen my NiMh crap out where as the NiCD I have, are a good choice to use in cold weather. On the other hand, Lipos I have seen mixed results in colder weather, some crap out and some keep going. GBBR or GBB Pistols, depending on the gas system, are not very good in the colder weather as you might as well use a slingshot!
Cheers
"That's what you said last time, Then look what happened!
*301 admins in exile*

Return to Tech Corner