It is currently 2024-05-18 / 16:04 UTC GMT +00:00

Gearbox shells.

• Author

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Gearbox shells.

Post2013-11-08 / 16:42 UTC GMT +00:00

Let’s say you just spend a ton of money on the best available parts for your AEG. You now need a place to install them. Your gearbox shell is essentially a housing specifically designed for you particular version of AEG. It houses every part that makes up your Gearbox and it is critical that it doesn’t fail under the constant pressures and stress of normal operation.

Material build quality is a huge underlying factor of many gearbox shell failures. Since these AEG’s are largely imported, the metals used to create gearbox shells have been named monkey metal. Monkey metal is essentially all the small pieces of scrap metals melted together and casted to make something. This process can leave weak points in the build quality of many AEG’s.

So what would make a gearbox shell break?

Version 2 gearboxes are prone to front end breakage or even separation. The constant pounding from the piston against the piston head which is connected to the gearbox shell is what causes such failures. High FPS setups or high ROF setups have a higher chance of damaging the front end of your shell rendering your AEG useless unless you get a replacement.
Current weather conditions can also account for a shell failure. The colder it is outside (winter) the weaker, and more prone to cracks your shell is.

In my opinion, there is no point in upgrading your GB shell in a stock AEG unless it does crack. My G&G M4 CQBS lasted 1.5 years shooting at 400FPS at anywhere from 20-26BPS. And that was weekly gaming.

FRONT END OF THIS GEARBOX SHELL HAS CRACKED DUE TO HIGH FPS.

My GB shell just broke, now what?

So your shell just kicked the can. What should you be looking for in terms of a new one? Purchase a high quality gearbox shell from a quality manufacturer. Many shells on the market are not made from monkey metal but from a single piece of CNC’d aluminum with 7,8 or 9mm bearings or bushings. Look for something that has some reinforcement in the weak area of that particular shell (front end reinforcement for a version 2). The gearbox shell I purchased was a Modify 9mm CNC’d shell. I picked that particular shell because I did my research on it and have herd of players in the Philippines running theirs at 560FPS at 21 BPS with no failures. Whichever shell you do go with, make sure you get the appropriate bearings or bushings and get everything installed by a quality gun doc.

If you have any questions please feel free to post.

Return to Tech Corner