It is currently 2024-03-28 / 08:42 UTC GMT +00:00

Buckings Buckings Bucking.

• Author

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Buckings Buckings Bucking.

Post2013-10-24 / 18:13 UTC GMT +00:00

There are a lot of different buckings to choose from in the Airsoft industry. Each manufacture claims better accuracy, air seal, range and power.

So what does Airsoft bucking do?

An airsoft bucking is a cylindrical sleeve that goes over the breech end of your Airsoft barrel. It serves a couple of different functions.
  1. Buckings create a seal between the nozzle (which pushes the bb through the bucking into the barrel) and the barrel so there is little-to-no blow-by (compression loss)
  2. Buckings protrude a small amount of rubber (mound) through the AEG barrel window which touches up against the bb which creates your hop up effect.

So what type is best for your setup?

This is something I can’t answer. In my Airsoft career I have tried so many different types of bucking that I doubt I have worn one out to date. Generally buckings are categorised in rubber density. Harder buckings are designed for higher FPS setups and softer buckings are designed for lower power setups and cold weather conditions.

I, for one, have never been a fan of hard buckings. For me, they have caused nothing but problems in compression loss, inconsistent shots and not enough hop. I have used soft buckings in the past and I swear by them. I have used soft bucking from the 330FPS range all the way up to 550FPS range with good/great results.

I would have to write a book to explain the pro’s and con’s of each individual bucking and I’m just not prepared to do that. What I will share is some of the more positive experiences with different bucking, why I liked it and approx how much it costs.

Madbull blue:

This is a great soft bucking . Its roughly $12 for x2 and it includes 2 nubs for your hop up unit. I found that because of the soft compound you get a great air seal and good accuracy out of a tuned AEG. Inside the bucking the mount is also abnormally large. This happens to be a great feature for AEG’s that don’t have a lot of hop adjustment so you can have straight flight with heavier bb’s(.28+)

PDI W hold:

Being that this is a premium name brand, expect to pay the premium price. Roughly $15 each. This bucking’s mound is shaped like a W, which is why it’s called W hold bucking. As the bb gets loaded into the hop up chamber it gets centered in the middle of the barrel from the 2 points of contact on the mound. Because of this centering effect and 2 points of contact you get good/great accuracy on semi auto. But what I find is that your full auto accuracy decreases. I would recommend this bucking to DMR users who use Semi auto only or 400FPS setups that rarely use full auto.

Prometheus Purple:

There is nothing “special” with this bucking, no weird mounds, just a very solid, great compression, great air seal, great accuracy bucking. Roughly $17 a piece it’s not exactly cheap but expect to get good semi auto accuracy as well as good full auto accuracy out of this year round winter approved(winter approved by moi) bucking.

Falcon green:

Another personal top contender. This buckings mound is shaped like fangs similar to the PDI w hold bucking. I found that this bucking has better full auto accuracy than the W hold and still retains its great semi auto accuracy.

A+ 60 degree bucking:

This bucking claim to fame was extended range and accuracy with bb’s that are .25+. With all the commotion I had to try one out in my Masada. Visually it has a HUGE nub internally. After the install my hop up dial was VERY sensitive. The slightest touch and it would send my .30 bb’s into the stratosphere. After getting my hop up adjusted I did notice an increase of range but the accuracy was horrible. There is no point in reaching out past 200Feet if you can’t hit the broad side of a barn at that distance. I can see this being a great support weapon bucking.

Hop up Mods.
There are many Airsoft players that like to tinker with different things to increase accuracy and distance of their AEG’s. One of the more popular hop up mods is called a R hop. Think of an R hop as a piece of rubber material that mates perfectly inside the barrel window of a AEG barrel. Then the user flips a normal bucking inside out and sands off the mount so he had a mound less bucking. He then installs the bucking over the barrel window over the R hopped window. There is a lot of tinkering that needs to be done to get this system to work properly. The user must install and test, disassemble tinker and reinstall and test again until he has the perfect hop for the bb weight he is using.

I have never attempted an R hop and I’ll be honest I do not know a whole lot about it. My good man DICE has done many R hops in the past. And hopefully he will read this and add to this thread in regards to this modification.

damageMTF

Member in Good Standing

Re: Buckings Buckings Bucking.

Post2013-10-24 / 22:36 UTC GMT +00:00

I had R-Hopped my one of my project gun and the result is amazing.
Repairs| Upgrades | Modification | Tune-up | Preventative Maintenance | Custom Works | GunPainting | Airsoft Consultation
DamageInc Six M Precision Works

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-10-25 / 03:30 UTC GMT +00:00

damageMTF wrote:I had R-Hopped my one of my project gun and the result is amazing.

would you care to explain the general R hop process? and what it does for you?

damageMTF

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-10-25 / 04:54 UTC GMT +00:00

Gunny wrote:would you care to explain the general R hop process? and what it does for you?

I just followed HS5 youtube vids. Thought it was a breeze to install one on my first try but took me hours tuning it up properly. Filing, widening the hop window, trimming, sanding the r-hop patch, removing the nipple on the soft hop rubber and a lot of test firing. Interesting fact was my Aeg's stock fps was 390fps inconsistent -3/+5. After the mod it bump up to consistent 415fps. I did field my gun two weekends ago to see how far it shoots. From chrono station to the metal steel plate. ;)
Repairs| Upgrades | Modification | Tune-up | Preventative Maintenance | Custom Works | GunPainting | Airsoft Consultation
DamageInc Six M Precision Works

dice

Post2013-10-25 / 15:08 UTC GMT +00:00

I agree with damage.

The R-hop is an art. I have done some that work brilliantly and then some have left me thinking is it worth it.

There are plenty of threads and some videos on it now but what they don't show is the fine tuning needed to make it successful.

The concept~
Traditional hop ups have a nub that drops through a window in your barrel which applies a "flick" to your bb giving it back spin. R-hop's use the entire window using a silicone patch. The BB now travels down the length of the path spending more "time" on the hop giving a more consistent spin. Time spent on a perfectly smooth silicone tube. This consistency is what makes the R-hop amazing.

Think of a baseball pitcher. Applying a slider using two fingers across the top of the ball.

The patches are typically made from silicone tubing and usually temperature rated tubing is best. That way drops or increases in weather temp wont have an effect on your bb.

As for the install process, I am sure most people will be guarding there secrets to ensure a tactical advantage on the field. :) My advice is try it. But maybe on a secondary gun and one where you can access the barrel quickly to make fine tune adjustments.

A note on MAple leaf MOnster hop ups. This hop rubber has an oversized rubber thingy (the part dropping into the barrel hole) and a flat nub. But I found the hop rubber to be too thin and did not get good compression with it. Even with teflon tape and dental floss.

Now back to R-hoping my Socom pistol.

PS. You don't need a R-hop, just move up 50 feet.... Unless you cant.
PSS. OUR team sniper has an R-hopped VSR.

Iceman

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-11-01 / 02:49 UTC GMT +00:00

I found this to be very informative, thank you it also went with what I've heard through hear say and from searching around. :D
Who Dares Wins, The only easy day was yesterday, Sua Sponte
"Shooting is only 1% of what you're going to do in a survival situation, but it's 1% you can't F*** up on, It's 1% because it's based on life or death"
Stay frosty my friends.

cook-off

Post2013-11-04 / 21:07 UTC GMT +00:00

wow so much in this loaded question.

I cant argue with the sucsess of things like R-hops,h-hops and bunny hops! etc, never used them and likley wont due to the work factor to install and tune them.

A "good" run of the mill regular hop rubber that has been around for 20 plus years still seems to be the best bet, 100% seal, good barrel and a good hop rubber will still perform with out standing effect. i guess I am going to have to buy one of these new fangled hops and see what all the fuss is about! 8-)
you went FULL RETARD!!

pokeoreo

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-04-16 / 05:36 UTC GMT +00:00

I really wanna try an R hop but im hella scared ill screw something up.
Mo' Moes, Moe Problems

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-04-16 / 14:57 UTC GMT +00:00

pokeoreo wrote:I really wanna try an R hop but im hella scared ill screw something up.

R hops can be very finicky. I would recommend R hop installs to experienced players or tinkerers.

that being said, if you wanna go for it more power to ya. unless you are doing permanent alterations to your barrel there is really noting for you to permanently screw up. Worst case scenario you mess up the R hop rubber and render it useless.

Return to Tech Corner