It is currently 2024-05-01 / 03:12 UTC GMT +00:00

High speed motor VS high torque.

• Author

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

High speed motor VS high torque.

Post2013-10-21 / 15:25 UTC GMT +00:00

There are a lot of different Airsoft motors on the market right now. Long, medium and short versions are at your disposal depending on what version gearbox you are using it on.
So what makes a motor high speed VS high torque?

It’s all about the magnets inside the motor and how many coils of wire are on the pinion. High speed motors will generally have less powerful magnets and less wire coils which will allow the motor to spool up higher speeds than a motor with stronger magnets. High speed motors are great for giving you an added boost in ROF. High speed motors lack trigger response (the time it takes for your AEG to shoot after the trigger is pulled) because the motor has a longer lag period and takes longer to reach its full spin potential. High speed motors usually recommend you use nothing faster than a 400FPS spring. Anything faster and your motor might not be able to pull back the spring you are using (battery pending).

Some of the better High torque motors that are being produced are being made with Neodymium magnets and much denser wire coils. These super strong magnets are used to help motors pull back the strongest of springs. High torque motors have a much slower top end speed than high speed motors but they will reach top end speed much fastest than a high speed motor will. The benefit to this is fast, snappy trigger response.

Just as a comparison between high torques to high speed motors.
My G&G m4 back in the day has a G&P m120 high speed motor in it. That motor paired up with my 11.1v 15c battery gave me 26 BPS at 400FPS. Trigger response was decent but it was most definitely lacking.
That same AEG with Guarders Infinite torque up motor and the same battery gave me 21 BPS, at 400FPS and lightning fast amazing trigger response.
Personally I’m all about trigger response with my builds and not super fast rate of fire.

Please note that HS/HT motors are not the only way to get fast trigger response/high ROF builds, but is just a fraction of the total build equation.

ImageLike always if you would like to add anything please post away.

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Re: High speed motor VS high torque.

Post2013-10-22 / 05:22 UTC GMT +00:00

Is it only a choice between high rate of fire OR good trigger response when choosing motors?
Steyr AUG EOD / FN P90 - Bullpups
Linux - my OS is an Abrams tank

Greatness is only a matter of will. It is the end result of patience, determination, direction, and strength. [JMS]
UrT - ETQW (Constructor/Oppressor) - Nexiuz // VE7DET
301 admins

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-10-22 / 15:14 UTC GMT +00:00

jsae wrote:Is it only a choice between high rate of fire OR good trigger response when choosing motors?

Not necessarily, you can get really nice high ROF builds using high torque motors and low ratio, high speed gear sets (13:1, 16:1)

But without getting into the nitty and gritty of Airsoft builds, yes for the most part that is correct. With standard ratio gears, high speed motor will give you high ROF and high torque motors will give you faster trigger response.

Pinoy

Marshal

Marshal

Post2013-10-22 / 17:20 UTC GMT +00:00

And there are motors that do
both speed and torque like Systema A to Z.

Tjfast

Admin

Admin

Post2013-10-24 / 04:35 UTC GMT +00:00

Pinoy wrote:And there are motors that do
both speed and torque like Systema A to Z.

I've been looking at the lonex hs & ht....recommended using a minimum 30c lipo :|
Image.
Opr8r Surjunz MD
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB

Iceman

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-11-08 / 21:40 UTC GMT +00:00

What about adjusting motor height?
Who Dares Wins, The only easy day was yesterday, Sua Sponte
"Shooting is only 1% of what you're going to do in a survival situation, but it's 1% you can't F*** up on, It's 1% because it's based on life or death"
Stay frosty my friends.

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-11-08 / 21:49 UTC GMT +00:00

Iceman wrote:What about adjusting motor height?

Adjustment of the motor height makes the motor gear mesh properly with the bevel gear. If you find that your AEG sounds whiny it might be time for an adjustment.

Put your AEG in semi auto; shoot slowly as you adjust the screw. You will find an area where the whine stops and that where you leave it. This is all done by sound so if you are having trouble come find me on the field and we can do it together.

Return to Tech Corner