It is currently 2024-05-18 / 13:43 UTC GMT +00:00

MOSFET REVIEW

• Author

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

MOSFET REVIEW

Post2014-02-14 / 16:55 UTC GMT +00:00

I have had the opportunity to try out a few mosfets in the Airsoft world. Each player has something they are looking for in a mosfet and some players including myself just want a basic mosfet that does nothing more than protect your trigger contacts.

Listed below are a couple of mosfets I have had first hand experience in and what I liked and didn’t like about it.

Gate Nano SSR- $25
This mosfet does nothing more than increase your trigger response and protect the trigger switch in your AEG. I have been using mine in my Masada for about 5 months now and am pleased to say that it is holding up very nice to regular punishment with high discharge batteries and a motor that pulls a ton of amperage from your battery. Today was the first game day that it was snowing/raining all day. the mosfet and battery got soaking wet and thus far she is still going very strong.

Batteries used are
7.4v 20-40c 1800mah
11.1 25-50c 1800mah

This Mosfet is not a simple plug and play unit. It does require some tech skills and the ability to solder a signal wire to your trigger switch. So far I am very impressed with this simple mosfet.

Gate Nano AB 3/4 $35
This mosfet has the same look and features as the one mentioned above except it has active breaking. Active breaking essentially sends a reverse polarity charge to the motor every time the trigger is released. What that does is instantly stop the motor as soon as the trigger is released. This feature is great for high ROF setups where double shots in semi is the issue. This Mosfet will not work with micro switch triggers but is designed for regular mechanical trigger switches.

Batteries used and tested
7.4v 20-40c 1800mah
11.1v 25-50c 1800mah

Nano AAB

This is one of the newest mosfets from GATE. This unit is identical in size and shape compared to the NANO SSR and the NANO AB ¾. The only difference is that this unit has the ability to be used in conjunction with Micro switch triggers. My favourite part of the following 3 mosfets is that they are wired exactly the same. This means you can purchase 1 mosfet and order a couple of extra contact leads and use the same mosfet for multiple rifles.

Gate Pico SSR-

This is the newest Mosfet to my collection and it is yet to be installed or tested. What I can say about this is DAMN this thing is small. So small that I am going to be installing it inside my V2 gearbox shell... YES INSIDE. There are no fancy features to this mosfet which I like and the install does require soldering skills.

More to come with this mosfet, stay tuned.

BTC Spectre FET for V2 Gearboxes -$100
http://www.btcairsoft.com/spectre_v2gb

I got the opportunity to try one of the newest Mosfet on the market. This mosfet consists of a 2 piece board that is connected by a series of micro pins. This mosfet is currently only available for the version 2 gearbox and it requires you to remove the following.
-mechanical trigger contacts.
-All the wires
- cut of lever
-safety lever
This mosfet will replace everything mentioned above.

Installation
Installation of the BTC FET is Very simple. Place it in the lower right corner of you gearbox and screw it down with your pre-existing trigger switch screw. After that all you need to do is run the wires through your gearbox and close everything up. The instructions say that you need a selector plate that has copper contacts. The copper contacts act as a buffer to make sure that the x2 switches get depressed fully. I didn’t have the proper selector plate so I put a thick even coating of JB weld on the inside of the plate and when dry, sanded it down flat. Took me a couple of tries but I got the switches fully depressed. This took the majority of my time for the install.

Everything on this FET is micro switch controlled. 4 switches to be exact.
1 sector gear chip (monitors cycle completion)
1 trigger switch
X2 switches that get depressed by your selector plate.

Once fully installed everything worked flawlessly. You get true 2-5 round burst functions and many other very neat features including:
Semi auto
Programmable burst
Ramping
ROF control
Active breaking control
And many, many more

Personal impressions:
Thus far I am VERY happy with this mosfet, and for me the best feature is its ability to remember what setting you left it on. Mosfets in the past.... (AWS) required you to reprogram your AEG every time you plug in a battery. This Mosfet remembers its last setting and saves it until you physically change it.

Last night was my first game day using the BTC FET. I can honestly say that this $100 chip has changed the way I look at airsoft. PTW like trigger response with my current setup. I set my M4 to semi/3 round burst and it was just a joy to shoot.

Claymore

Admin

Admin

Re: MOSFET REVIEW

Post2014-02-14 / 17:13 UTC GMT +00:00

Thanks Gunny,

I can refer players to this first hand review that explains some samples of mosfet's and what they do.
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB.
BA L3 Certified Sniper.

Return to Tech Corner