It is currently 2024-05-01 / 09:18 UTC GMT +00:00

AR style rifles - best bet for first time player?

After you read the Airsoft Information and Getting Started
Post your questions here for answers, eventually these questions will get rolled into the Airsoft Info.
  • Author

StreetShotz

AR style rifles - best bet for first time player?

Post2013-10-31 / 15:07 UTC GMT +00:00

I dont know what the logistics are like on the field but from what I have seen in various videos is that many people are using an AR style platform to play from.

I would assume, being that most AR platforms use the M$/M16 style magazine that this would be a good bet seeing as if you run dry in your mag you could ask another play to throw you a mag in a pinch.

Would this be a safe bet to get an AR platform to start with?

I was considering a HK416 from URAMAX. The V2 version.

Opinions?

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Re: AR style rifles - best bet for first time player?

Post2013-10-31 / 15:34 UTC GMT +00:00

You are correct in a sense good sir.

That whole call of duty, "hey man i need a mag" then there is a long slow motion throw 10 feet to your buddy, with the epic catch and insertion into your magwell just before downing enemy tango's.

It just doesn’t happen in airsoft, everyone uses different weight bb's.

There are a lot of M4 platforms on the field YES.

My opinion, get a AEG that you know has replacement parts available. M4's have a version 2 gearbox. You will have no problem finding any part in case you break something.

Get a gun that is appropriate for your size and game style. Smaller frame, M4 CQB or MP5 type of gun. Large behemoth of a man? get a support weapon.

In the end, do what makes you happy.

StreetShotz

Post2013-10-31 / 15:58 UTC GMT +00:00

I was watching a video of a bunch of members from here playing and there was one instance where a player ran dry and another tossed them a mag.
However, this was not a beautiful slo-mo display of coordination haha.

I come fomr a 3 gun background and many of the competitors use the AR platform because parts are easy to come by and if you ever have a broken part you can pillage one from another competitor (if they are that nice).

I have had this happen and it really sucks. Puts you out of commission and ruins the day.

I do plan on getting an AEG just not sure which direction to go with that one.

faded

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-10-31 / 17:36 UTC GMT +00:00

Gunny wrote:That whole call of duty, "hey man i need a mag" then there is a long slow motion throw 10 feet to your buddy, with the epic catch and insertion into your magwell just before downing enemy tango's.

False! I ran out couple games ago and yelled to my buddy "I'm out!" Tossed me a hicap and proceeded to get quite a few more kills. Was awesome.
Just happens both of us have vfc m4 variants and use same weight bbs.
BA L2 Certified Sniper
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB

StreetShotz

Post2013-10-31 / 17:45 UTC GMT +00:00

Regardless of the BB weight, if your out and need to send more down range then using a different weight BB would not be a huge concern for me. Of course velocity/range/sigh calibration/ etc would be off but better than sitting there with nothing.

I like the idea of keeping things as close to a sim as possible as it really adds to the games dinamic. If I can pinch a mag from someone when I run out/if I run out that would be bennificial and help me make a decision on what I want to be shooting with.

Iceman

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-10-31 / 18:44 UTC GMT +00:00

Street you haven't played and BB weight can make a huge difference. Yes you can compensate but it's not as interchangeable as it might seem.

Faded yes there are occasions especially when you're with a buddy that you can interchange mags but not all guns can...like mine.

Onto the topic I love the ar15 platform, furthermore I'd say buy something higher end so you can keep it for longer.
Who Dares Wins, The only easy day was yesterday, Sua Sponte
"Shooting is only 1% of what you're going to do in a survival situation, but it's 1% you can't F*** up on, It's 1% because it's based on life or death"
Stay frosty my friends.

Airmax

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-10-31 / 18:57 UTC GMT +00:00

What! , No FN Scar love ......... Boooooo!!!
"That's what you said last time, Then look what happened!
*301 admins in exile*

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-10-31 / 20:38 UTC GMT +00:00

faded wrote:
Gunny wrote:That whole call of duty, "hey man i need a mag" then there is a long slow motion throw 10 feet to your buddy, with the epic catch and insertion into your magwell just before downing enemy tango's.

False! I ran out couple games ago and yelled to my buddy "I'm out!" Tossed me a hicap and proceeded to get quite a few more kills. Was awesome.
Just happens both of us have vfc m4 variants and use same weight bbs.

im not saying it CANT be done, im just saying your sights are going to be off with different weight bb's and you should have enought BB's on you to last the entire gameday.

just because you have a M4 platfors doesnt mean that every m4 mag is going to work with your AEG. Some m4's are finicky and only like certain magazines.

damageMTF

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-10-31 / 22:23 UTC GMT +00:00

What happen to "get an AK best out of the box, ver.3 gbox and shots further than m4". ;) ...sigh...that was back in the day.
Repairs| Upgrades | Modification | Tune-up | Preventative Maintenance | Custom Works | GunPainting | Airsoft Consultation
DamageInc Six M Precision Works

Noir

Marshal

Marshal

Post2013-11-01 / 03:28 UTC GMT +00:00

I would highly recommend a metal body. I have a plastic g&g m4 and it has a cracked receiver but my classic army metal body m15a4 has been gamed for years with no sign of body damage aside from paint wear.
I'm so operator when my battery dies I take my barrel out and use it as a blow gun.
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB.
Next

Return to New Player Questions