It is currently 2024-04-19 / 02:59 UTC GMT +00:00

Review: Razor Hydration System by Source

• Author

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Review: Razor Hydration System by Source

Post2014-04-21 / 19:34 UTC GMT +00:00

Awhile back, my team started to change its philosophy on military gear, and how it pertains to airsoft. We've always had a few ideals; buy and use quality products, get gear engineered to do the job, and be ready for anything. Every year we'd attend a few endurance games, usually between 24 and 36 hours long, and our load-outs needed to allow us to carry all of our kit like food, ammo, rain gear, etc, as we were often very far from our vehicles, or even a safe zone. Certain items like ranger blankets and backup guns could be carried in the team's ruck-sack, but mostly you'd have to be self sufficient. Although our gear was usually high quality, it was also very heavy, especially wearing it for 24 or more hours straight. We still hold to those same concepts, but we realized that there are lighter, faster, and slimmer ways to build a load-out. First off, if every piece was purchased in as compact and light weight as possible, added together you can save pounds. So we saw a lot of items like flashlights, multi tools, etc, be more closely researched and more intelligently hung on our gear. Also, Stan mags started turning into P-mag or thermomold style mags, Steel gun accessories changed into aluminum or polymer, etc. Second was profile slimming, which helps in two ways. The first and most obvious way is that you are a smaller target. The second, the further out something sticks out, the more you'll feel the weight, the more sag it'll have, and the more it'll wiggle back and forth as you move, all of which add to your overall fatigue. So things like double stacked mags, packs, large utility pouches, etc, started to move over for panel style pouches, open top single mag pouches, and pouches engineered a little more specifically to the items we were carrying. third is about sheer size of objects. Large drop leg platforms, large style plate carriers, etc, are giving way for JPCs, easy plates, etc, etc, you all get the idea. This is an ongoing project, as most people can't just replace their whole load-out in one swoop.

So anyways, here is the item I found which is a huge win; the Razor Hydration System, by Source. If anyone has ever attended an endurance game they'll tell you, the worst moment is when you refill your bladder and then re-don vest or rig. You're tired, you're sore, your fatigued, and now you've just added pounds to your load-out. I myself ran a 3L bladder my entire airsoft carrier, as I go through a lot of water, this can be heavy. I carried it in a large, backpack style, multicam pouch on my back by Condor, or maybe Voodoo, I can't exactly remember. Anyways, this pouch had tons of room, so I'd often carry meals, my loading rod, and a warm layer inside. It did the job, but it was heavy, unbalanced, and flopped around while I moved. When I started investigating new options I found a lot of new tech available. Many outdoor/sport companies have started making military or tactical style products, from eyewear, to footwear, to hydration systems. Although this isn't new, it is way more common. A few of our guys have found some pretty awesome products such as the Razorback, and many have gone to smaller 2.5 or even 2 liter setups to save weight and size. My philosophy, I can put 1 or 2 liters in a 3 liter pack for shorter skirmishes, but I can't put 3 liters in a 2 liter pack. I looked at several types and designs, but many of the 3 liter systems were not what I'd call slimming, although they had better comfort and weight distribution. I was investigating a system called "Dagger" by Source when I was dissapointed to find out that it was discontinued. However, Source has engineered a newer system call "Razor" as a slim tactical hydration system. There are a few Source retailers in Canada, but I ordered mine straight from Source in the US. With shipping, the total was around $95.00 USD. With few relative reviews online, I was still fairly hopeful as Source was known for high quality products.

On to the Razor itself. The pouch is made very well, but has some odd features. First you'll notice that it's quite wide, this is actually a benefit, as the weight is very well distributed. It does however cover the back of my Blackhawk STRIKE PC, which isn't a small carrier, but that's okay, and I'll cover why here soon. Also I'll note that my PC isn't molle strapped to the top, so it is sitting a little low, but whatever, that's my carrier not the pack.

Another feature is the full molle straps in a subdued tan rather than multicam. Not a huge deal, but they are perfectly sewn, and are strong while being incredible easy to weave through. This actually will add to the benefit of its overall width, which I'm still going to explain later.

On the reverse side the molle is in free floating bands instead of columns. This means that their is no sewn dividers along each band, and two permanantly attached molle straps sewn to the top to weave down through. I thought this was goofy, but it actually benefits or well. Believe it or not it does not shift around whatsoever, as it actually helps hold it tight, and allows for versatile positioning. I do wish however that the straps were a little further apart though.

On to the benefit of the width beyond weight dispersal. The free floating molle bands allow for additional straps or malice clips to be placed to help mold this pack right to your rig. As you can see it is already very slim, but if the edges were strapped as well, you can imagine that it would fit like a chubby panel, instead of a pack style pouch. The other benefit of the width now, is that it is so secure and slim, you could attach an additional pack or pouches on its exterior without throwing of the balance, or creating wobble.

Over all, this is very slimming compared to almost all hydration systems, especially 3 liter ones. Beyond that, you'll be pleased to know that you can barely feel the overall weight, even surprisingly so.

As for the hydration portion of this system, there are a few great benefits. First off the drinking valve is handy, it has a full cover cap attached, as well as the pull open drinking system. Also, all of the connections are well made, and quick release. This makes it easy for cleaning, and or running it through/weaving it through your gear.

The hose cover is a woven fabric, and is extremely durable. So not only would it protect the hose from scratches and abrasions, but it would likely survive a strike or getting caught on something. It would likely repel even slightly sharp objects.

The bladder is an odd shape, but fits securely into the pack, and feels comfortable against your back. But here's the best feature; little to no water movement. In fact it almost doesn't slosh whatsoever, which is amazing.

Overall, this is a very cool system. The only test is its durability long term, but I don't imagine it'll be an issue. It is definately built more robust than any of my other hydration systems, and seems to have tech and development in all of the right places.

PROS:
- effective weight distribution allowing for additional equipment
- very slimming while holding a full 3 liters of water
- no water movement helping with long term balance and fatigue
- comfortable in all ways to wear

CONS:
- may not be versatile to all load-out styles due to sheer width
- I wish I had a better rig to test this on
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (127.43 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
I never wear an emblem, garment or title I have not earned. I never pretend to be, claim to be nor impersonate someone or something I am not. I never diminish, disrespect nor depreciate the sacrifices of true heroes. I utilize military style gear, equipment and tactics as they are the best and most appropriate tools for the job. I am a combat sports athlete.

Team SWATT: Recruiting
ASC Age Verifier (Greater Vancouver)

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Re: Review: Razor Hydration System by Source

Post2014-04-21 / 19:38 UTC GMT +00:00

More images
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.54 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (169.28 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
I never wear an emblem, garment or title I have not earned. I never pretend to be, claim to be nor impersonate someone or something I am not. I never diminish, disrespect nor depreciate the sacrifices of true heroes. I utilize military style gear, equipment and tactics as they are the best and most appropriate tools for the job. I am a combat sports athlete.

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Re: Review: Razor Hydration System by Source

Post2014-04-22 / 04:45 UTC GMT +00:00

Here's an interesting update. I missed these little clips on the side. Once you mount it, you can snap it down tight to your rig along the edges decreasing its profile. Duh!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (192.72 KiB) Viewed 1676 times

Return to Equipment Reviews