It is currently 2024-05-05 / 17:36 UTC GMT +00:00

Quick review: Oakley & HSGI

• Author

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Quick review: Oakley & HSGI

Post2014-03-10 / 04:13 UTC GMT +00:00

So I picked up a few things today, including some new Oakley gloves, an HSGI single strap leg rig, and an assortment of HSGI Taco mag pouches.

So here's a few things to consider.

Oakley SI Combat Gloves in Tan (sorta): still awesome, or I wouldn't have bought another set. I love 'em, and do not regret my purchase, but they've changed a bit. I noticed that the palm is thicker. This is a bit of a disappointment, as it lessens their great ability for sensation in your hands and fingers, however, my last set wore through in spots over time, so this may have been a logical fix. They still have great sensation though, just slightly not as good, either way it's no big deal. Second thing is the fit. These ones have a stretchier more breathable material throughout, and are much lighter weight. I had to get them a size bigger than last time, and overall are comfortable to wear, but not what I would call "snug". Overall, they feel light weight, breathable, and comfortable, so we'll call it a win. Here's what bugs me about them; the color. They seem much more subdued than before. There's almost no tan left in them, and they are a very light cream color. But I guess that's not really a big deal. Anyways, gloves are got.

High Speed Gear Inc Costa Leg Panel in Coyote Brown: Next is the HSGI Costa leg panel (not Costa leg "rig"). Essentially the same device, but naked. In a bid to go faster, lighter, and more moveable, I needed to move my weight up and off my legs. My current holster, which is awesome, is a little on the heavy side, and double straps to your upper leg. It's ridged, well made, and holds fast very well. Unfortunately this translates into slower movement speed, and a strained stride while running. So I want to move my pistol up, but not right on my waist, as that's too high for my comfort and reach. This panel starts its molle nearly right where you belt ends, so is centralized on your upper hip instead of actually on your leg. It fits comfortably and is light weight, with a narrow, single strap that goes around your upper leg, not affecting your stride, or very minimally. This is where my kydex holster will eventually rest, and I think it'll work out well, though I still need to put it through its paces. On the opposite side I bought a small molle extension panel, that has no strap, but will help to hold a few magazines nicely to my belt, just an inch or two lower, and without straps. So I have gone from two drop leg platforms with four large straps, to one platform with one small one. I think I've kept the solid weight distribution, but increased mobility and comfort, while dropping a bunch of weight overall.

High Speed Gear Inc Taco Magazine Pouches: Lastly, the Taco pouches. I picked a few singles, and a few doubles with pistol mag pouches on the outside. Major win, and major fail. The Taco pouches are lightweight, extremely well made, and make running multiple magazines much easier. I believe they are likely the best magazine pouch on the planet currently, hence to stupid price tag. Here's where they blow it; the pistol mags. Now I've heard a few complaints about this from people that have slimmer or smaller pistol magazines, such as a 1911, but my mags are decently sized. I run a Beretta PX4 Storm, which has a similar magazine size to a P226, USP, etc. The mags are relatively beefy, but not quite as big as a Desert Eagle, Mark 23, or FN 5/7, but beefy none the less. I've tightening the Tacos, I've tried shoveling them in deeper (insert joke), I've tried everything. Although I have gotten then snug, I have no doubt that a good stumble , dive to the ground, or getting a ramie would easily dislodge or loosen the magazine right out of the pouch, and you wouldn't even notice. Now these Tacos hold M4 magazines like nobodies business, and are still the best at it. So all in all, I'll keep the Tacos, but I'm going to return the ones with the pistol magazine pouches, and get more stand alone AR mag pouches, and do something else for my pistol magazines. Maybe even check out some ESSTac mag pouches, which they have there at the same store. Also, the double AR pouches are to wide. They look slim, but once the magazines are in them, they increase your profile quite a bit.
Last edited by Ricochet on 2014-03-10 / 13:01 UTC GMT +00:00, edited 1 time in total.
I never wear an emblem, garment or title I have not earned. I never pretend to be, claim to be nor impersonate someone or something I am not. I never diminish, disrespect nor depreciate the sacrifices of true heroes. I utilize military style gear, equipment and tactics as they are the best and most appropriate tools for the job. I am a combat sports athlete.

Team SWATT: Recruiting
ASC Age Verifier (Greater Vancouver)

Tjfast

Admin

Admin

Re: Quick review: Oakley & HSGI

Post2014-03-10 / 04:25 UTC GMT +00:00

Great reviews!
Dont mention Tacos and pistol Mags around meatshower though.....Lost, 3 now I think? :lol:
Image.
Opr8r Surjunz MD
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-03-10 / 04:33 UTC GMT +00:00

So I'm not the only one that has had issue then? Thought I was doing something wrong. Lol.
I never wear an emblem, garment or title I have not earned. I never pretend to be, claim to be nor impersonate someone or something I am not. I never diminish, disrespect nor depreciate the sacrifices of true heroes. I utilize military style gear, equipment and tactics as they are the best and most appropriate tools for the job. I am a combat sports athlete.

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-03-10 / 06:10 UTC GMT +00:00

I was just talking with a buddy of mine back in Alberta. He said he had to re-weave the pouches, and then they'd hold whatever. He said just pulling them tighter did nothing for the pistol magazine issue.

Meatshower

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-03-10 / 06:59 UTC GMT +00:00

Yeah, I called a rep at HSGI in January saying "I know it's not the biggest issue for airsofting. But real steal, those 7 rounds in a 1911 mag can save a man's life". And the rep completely agreed. He said he was a bbwarz-er too and his team ran TACOs and 1911MEUs as well, and they never lost a mag. I basically tightened it to the t!ts and I haven't had mags fall out since I did that.
Oh Herro Prease.
I've been around the lower mainland twice, shot everyone once.
No Glock I can't rock
no field fee too high
no drive too far
no SIM too long
no walk to hard
learned a lot of lessons on the field.
lunch is for pussies,
I've heard pistons strip
I seen players slip
I'm a marine I'm a seal, depending on how I feel
never use low quality bb's in a high quality gun
.20's are for chronoing
.12's are for kids
no enemy too far, no gear too queer
I wear more then I have
any gun worth hauling is worth overhauling.
I participate, I operate I don't discriminate,
I'm a rooting tooting bb shooting
Lower Mainland Airsoft Operator.
Opr8r Surjunz MD
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-03-11 / 03:35 UTC GMT +00:00

Ditched my stackers for singles today. I've tightened up the pistol pouches a bit, but they still aren't to my liking. Maybe a little modification is in order.

stzy

Post2014-03-14 / 02:10 UTC GMT +00:00

I have a single taco pistol pouch with no problems so far with 1911 mags. no experience with the double though.
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB.

jethro

Post2014-03-17 / 07:56 UTC GMT +00:00

the only time i loose mags is from the gun never from the pouch
love and swear by my tacos both pistol and m4
better to keep your mouth shut and be presumed a fool
rather to open it and remove all doubt

don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance
my calmness for acceptance
or my kindness for weakness

Return to Equipment Reviews