It is currently 2024-05-13 / 11:27 UTC GMT +00:00

GBBR owners chime in.

General discussions about anything and everything Airsoft.
  • Author

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

GBBR owners chime in.

Post2013-07-09 / 20:57 UTC GMT +00:00

I am curious to hear about peoples experience with GBBR's (gas blow back rifles)

They are most definitely a step ahead of AEG's in terms of real steel function and manipulation.

The reason I have never dipped my toe in the world of GBBR's is because I hear nothing but bad things like parts breaking, and replacements very hard to find.
Yes the mags are crazy expensive and yes it takes more maintenance than a standard AEG but what is the performance like?

My M4 AEG has an effective range of approx 200+FT. is it possible to tune a GBBR to such performance?

I don’t understand why GBBR companies don’t take their rifles and do a torture test until something fails, see what the problem is, fix it with bigger or better metals and do it again until something else breaks and repeat the process until they have a reliable rifle capable of thousandths of rounds.

cook-off

Re: GBBR owners chime in.

Post2013-07-10 / 01:59 UTC GMT +00:00

Gunny, I have limited experience with GBBR, I have owned a sniper rifle and a Grease gun and shot a couple different brands of GBBR M-4 variants. also been shot and shot at by many GBBR and talked the shit with the owners.

To date, I have no GBBR, not that I couldn't, I just don't have huge faith in them.

any problems you have ever encountered with a GBBP! you will with a GBBR, mag leaks, inconsistency, cool down with rapid fire, ambient temp effects!

Unfortunately GBBR still have gas mags, min two O-rings for the fill valve and min 2 O-rings for the release valves, leak city.

I am not totally against them, I am watching the KWA's small sub machine guns for a possible buy in the future, but for me they have lots of work to do before I would switch from electric to gas.

there are a few that use them and swear by them, I am just not convinced yet.
you went FULL RETARD!!

dice

Post2013-07-10 / 02:52 UTC GMT +00:00

I agree a lot with Cookoff, I had the WE HK416 open bolt and ran it with a 6.01 inner barrel and it shot DMR. It was so much fun to play with at home and everyone loves to rack and hold it. Gamed it once and sold it. Moved to the KWA MP7a1 for its smaller size and I have had a lot of success with KWA/KSC brand so felt I should stick with them.

It shoots really well and doesnt have the cool down like the WE did.

Running the MP7 on the last gas day so much fun. It has a nice charm to it. A lot like pistols. They sometimes misfeed and have issues and adds a very real perspective to the game.

I imagine it feels a lot like when you run a VSR against someone with a 500 round hi cap.

Also,as finicky as a gas gun is, there is something nice about not having batteries in a gun.

With a gas gun, like a pistol you may tend to creep up a bit more before getting the kill. 100-150 feet.

On a side note, I may have shot someone while at the choke point with my MP7 while they were standing at the bunker.
Sadly not confirmed.

For an M4 variant i would look hard at the KJW Tanio Koba, Subs I would look at KWA, and the GHK for AK's.

Also, do some research on this ... I know I will be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4uiP96rlJc

Airmax

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-07-10 / 03:27 UTC GMT +00:00

I want a WE L85A2!
"That's what you said last time, Then look what happened!
*301 admins in exile*

oveRaen343

Post2013-07-10 / 07:29 UTC GMT +00:00

Need a GHK 2013 AK!

Deep6

Post2013-07-10 / 18:15 UTC GMT +00:00

I own a WE PDW and its not that it is a poor gun but I have just never used it and I have owned it for two years, I never seem to find the time to tune it and I even went out and spent the money on the gen 3 open bolt kit only to have it still sitting in the box. I love the real steel aspect behind the GBBR's and for that reason alone, was the incentive to purchase one. I like the fact that with WE I can run gas or CO2 mags and have found keeping the mags leak free relativily easy, I as well find the satisfaction of a kill with a limited amount of ammo very gratifying.

I do not like the fact that they are seasonal play toys so that is something to take note if you only have one airsoft gun, but I did test my PDW in the winter with CO2 mags and it cycled a full mag with very little drop in fps. It will all boil down to what you want.

Gunny if you want to run a GBBR for a day you are more than welcome to borrow my PDW as its just sitting at home waiting to be purchased by a loving pretend soldier to shoot as many people as possible.
Proud member of the airsoft community.

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-07-10 / 22:48 UTC GMT +00:00

one day i would love to game a GBBR to get a feel for it.

i held a VFC GBBR and it was a thing of beauty externally but internally i have no idea what i am looking at.

Char

Treasurer

Treasurer

Post2013-07-11 / 00:51 UTC GMT +00:00

cant really say iv had any luck with we rifles or pistols as far as matching the performance of a good aeg but there is definitely something to the feel and sound of firing a gbbr and knowing you have very limited ammo wanting to make sure those shots count

Deep6

Post2013-07-11 / 16:40 UTC GMT +00:00

Stas from team PIMP is pretty good with dealing with the internals of the dreaded GBBR so if you were in need of advice give him a pm or Juicy from what I hear he is pretty good with GBBR's
Proud member of the airsoft community.

Andres

Post2013-07-15 / 07:23 UTC GMT +00:00

My experiences thus far:

Okay, so I get the WE M16A3 open bolt after the AWSS system works out a decent amount of the kinks and problems that the WE GBBR's ran into first go. Juicy can tell you guys all about the silliness of those closed bolt systems. Open bolt so far has been fairly reliable, and there's absolutely no reason to use closed bolt anymore.

However even with the better system, the OB system runs into the issue of metal wear on wear. That's the biggest problem any of these rifles have, is because when soft metal is smashing other soft metal, shit starts going south quicker. So some people decide to go put steel in their guns thinking it'l fix the problem and increase recoil as a bonus, and only after every single internal part is replaced with steel does the wear really stop. Even then, the steel bolt for example will smash the shit out of the hopup etc. which do not have steel replacement parts.

My M16 is not reinforced with steel, and I do not intend to reinforce with steel as that will increase wear way too quick. Heavier bits make for better recoil, but dough saved in the long run is worth it, as replacing bits is annoying.

Stock, the only real upgrades you'll need on a WE system might be the hopup rubber and potentially aluminum nozzle to avoid some breakages that seem to be common. Replacing other parts as they break are the best option, since RA tech replacement parts are not exactly drop in I've heard. I am running currently a WE M16A3 open bolt with 8 generation 2 mags (good mags!), and an A+ hopup rubber, with aluminum nozzle. If you do go the GBBR route, the one thing I'd recommend is knowing exactly where the wear is occuring, and potentially removing bits which might dig into parts where you don't want them to dig into. Example, my bolt catch ate through my bolt carrier and I had to replace it, but this could have been stopped if I just dremmelled or filed the bolt catch a bit more.

I find the gun to be fairly accurate, and the range to be pretty decent. The kick, reload, sound is awesome, but the internals are still a pain in the ass sometimes. However, I haven't sold it yet, so that has to mean something, right?
Next

Return to General Chat