It is currently 2024-05-18 / 09:02 UTC GMT +00:00

heavy weight bios (BBs)

General discussions about anything and everything Airsoft.
  • Author

Tjfast

Admin

Admin

heavy weight bios (BBs)

Post2014-10-26 / 22:01 UTC GMT +00:00

Hey guys,

Recieved an email from the owner of airsoftstore.ca, they currently have bioshot .43s & .40s & .36s however they only have 20 bags each wight. Get them while there in stock!

[url]
http://www.airsoftstore.ca/index.php?ma ... 8a8a010904[/url]
Image.
Opr8r Surjunz MD
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Re: heavy weight bios (BBs)

Post2014-10-28 / 05:10 UTC GMT +00:00

How did Bioshot solve the toxicity problem of heavier weight BB's?

Recall that:
BBBastard wrote:... There is an engineering "wall" where beyond 0.28 grams in this formula [PLA], where less fibreglass (binder) is added and more PLA and the material also undergoes compresson in the mold. This results in a poor bond and the BB is weak and prone to breaking apart when exposed to firing torque forces. Not just on impact, but in the violent feedpath (mag to end of barrel has high speed directional changes of up to 90 degrees) of an AEG itself. This can cause damage to the firing platform (torn hopups, jams and fine powder in the device).

Adding Weight
Airsoft BBs need to be 5.95mm, + or -0.01mm. Larger BBs will not feed properly and smaller BBs have poor feeding and flight characteristics. This creates an engineering problem when a BB needs to be a weight higher than 100% within the target diameter. PLA material is required to reach that weight.

Many manufacturers have resorted to "doping" to overcome this. Doping adds weight to a BB by adding a heavy material. The problem with doping is twofold:
  1. ... Weight additives with less fibreglass introduce a heterogenous thermoplastic base that causes the BB to be "brittle". ...
  2. ... add substances such as Zinc Oxide to bring the weight up. ...Zinc Oxide is a metal and is not considered bio-friendly. Found in soil, it is considered and industrial contaminant
Doping additives result in a heavier BB, but also result in a formula that is not considered "non-toxic".
In Canada, soil analysis is a mandatory step in the land sales process. Remediation will be ordered by the Ministry of Environment and the owner will pay for that expensive process -- sometimes costing more than the land value itself. And once it is found, remediation is required, the landowner cannot simply withdraw from the sale of the land.

Detecting Doping
... Doping is NOT an advisable practice, and it defeats the ecological goals of a BIO BB, even though the BB retains it[sic] characteristic breakdown attributes.
... Once a BIO BB reaches 0.28g, the need to dope for weight to go beyond that weight becomes an engineering necessity. Compression of PLA and fiberglass can be used up to 0.32 grams, but the BB quality suffers terribly. Beyond 0.32 grams, doping in a BIO BB is assured to reach a target weight.
... Mass spectrometry has shown unidentified metal spikes in the material of others, showing metal doping is a common practice in heavyweight BB production today.

Emphasis added.
( https://bbbastard.com/media/promo/BBBas ... on2014.pdf )
Steyr AUG EOD / FN P90 - Bullpups
Linux - my OS is an Abrams tank

Greatness is only a matter of will. It is the end result of patience, determination, direction, and strength. [JMS]
UrT - ETQW (Constructor/Oppressor) - Nexiuz // VE7DET
301 admins

Tjfast

Admin

Admin

Post2014-10-28 / 05:14 UTC GMT +00:00

Well then I guess the days of BARs are out the window :roll:
Image.
Opr8r Surjunz MD

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Post2014-10-28 / 05:20 UTC GMT +00:00

I think that the thing to do is take a look at a risk-benefit analysis:

- Polyethylene will work its way into the food web and the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

- Doped Bio BB will work its way into the soil and require Local Remediation

But if the doping is something safe or a common mineral, you may have some hope.

But wait, maybe one of our guys will come up with something we can do to the gun to make lighter BB's work well!

Or, maybe they didn't dope the BB with a toxic metal-- how did they achieve weight?
Steyr AUG EOD / FN P90 - Bullpups
Linux - my OS is an Abrams tank

Greatness is only a matter of will. It is the end result of patience, determination, direction, and strength. [JMS]
UrT - ETQW (Constructor/Oppressor) - Nexiuz // VE7DET
301 admins

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-10-28 / 06:43 UTC GMT +00:00

This isn't new. Some companies have claimed to have a clean 0.30g or even 0.32g, and other companies have outright accused their competitors of using zinc oxide or similar. Oddly enough no one has denied the use these 'doping' methods, they simy ignore the questions. Companies I believe have proven a clean bio round, BB Bastard up to 0.28g and Green Devil up to 0.30g. Don't quote me.
I never wear an emblem, garment or title I have not earned. I never pretend to be, claim to be nor impersonate someone or something I am not. I never diminish, disrespect nor depreciate the sacrifices of true heroes. I utilize military style gear, equipment and tactics as they are the best and most appropriate tools for the job. I am a combat sports athlete.

Team SWATT: Recruiting
ASC Age Verifier (Greater Vancouver)

DrunkenTeddy

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-10-28 / 21:00 UTC GMT +00:00

Considering these are being used in sniper rifles primarily where maybe 50 shots are taken in a day, and considering that most of the material used will be biodegradable I don't see a major issue with people using these.. Many fields outside the lower mainland allow snipers to use non-bio bbs anyways, these couldn't be worse than that option.
VFC Noveske M4 - Echo1 Platinum M16 - G&G Top Tech RK47 - Ares Stoner LMG
TM MK23 Socom - KJW Glock 23 - KJW P226

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-10-28 / 21:23 UTC GMT +00:00

50 shots for a sniper, more like 3 lol.

my take on this is that there is millions upon millions of bbs at various fields. 5 more here or there are not going to hurt anything.

Tjfast

Admin

Admin

Post2014-10-28 / 22:35 UTC GMT +00:00

Very true gunny, and if the bag says bio, well....as long it fires well in whatever im using, im not going to complain
Image.
Opr8r Surjunz MD

Tjfast

Admin

Admin

Post2014-11-06 / 21:43 UTC GMT +00:00

Tjfast wrote:Very true gunny, and if the bag says bio, well....as long it fires well in whatever im using, im not going to complain

With that being said, I got a chance to go outside today and fire off a few of the .40s, not suprised that they shoot well, seem to have great consistancy, especially with the heavy wind that was outside.
Image.
Opr8r Surjunz MD

Return to General Chat