It is currently 2024-04-19 / 18:09 UTC GMT +00:00

Wolverine HPA impressions!

General discussions about anything and everything Airsoft.
  • Author

cook-off

Wolverine HPA impressions!

Post2014-10-22 / 05:35 UTC GMT +00:00

So I have had the Wolverine SMP out in my AK-74 three times now, put around 5000 rnds of gaming and testing.

I like the Wolverine, the install was a little involved, I had to do some filing to the selector lever for a smooth transition from semi to full auto (this was expected due to so many gear box manufacturing spec discrepancies) the trigger made engagement to issues, the drop in cylinder fit well (this is TM spec so anything you use a TM cylinder in this unit will work) lots of room inside the gear box for wiring and hose after everything is gutted out of it.

all wiring was plug in with no issues, hose run out the bottom of the pistol grip ( you have to drill a hole in the grip) bolt the gear box together and drop her in.

first test firing was a little puzzling due to all kinds of tail chasseing, BBs doing weird things, since I was using a AK in a box of parts, I was starting from square one, so I had to check barrels, hop up chambers, hop rubbers etc etc.
took me a couple late nights to iron out the crap parts and put together a better AK platform.

so the problems I run into were the Wolverine AK nozzle that comes with the V-3 kit has a slightly larger OD than a stock TM style nozzle, consequently the nozzle would get stuck or contact the wall of the hop chamber at certain times making the BBs fly all over! once I bored out and polished the inside of the hop chamber (approx. .008 larger the feeding and BB flight was more acceptable).

Impressions... well all I can compare it to are AEGS, GBB guns and my Polar star!...

Consistency over the chrono is very good, trigger response is very good, air use is less than the polar star but not leaps and bounds but noticeable, noise level is low lower than most AEGs, a little louder than the P*, range is good like any good AEG, adjustability is ok, enough, but not as many options as P* but rarely would use most adjustments.

HPA works well in cooler weather as we know Propane wont, but I will have to test more as the weather gets colder, I have had electronic issues with my P* in rain well very heavy rain, the can be more water proofed but they don't like very wet conditions, I am sure Wolverine would be the same but a weather proofing of connections would be not that difficult.
I do know with sustained full auto of 25BBPS the hop chamber get very cool, hence 100psi blasting through the nozzle directly into the hop up and rubber, so when the temp drops it will be interesting to see what effect it has on hop effect?

summing up...comparing Wolverine to P*! well it wasn't a fare comparison, my P* sits in a body and components which are some of the best by industry standard, my Wolverine sit in a platform that is about 70% less expensive and more entry lever to moderate components! but I would rate the Wolverine even in an inferior platform to just about any AEGs I have built.

The Wolverine can be used in far more models than P*, anything that uses TM cylinders can house a Wolverine kit and with a little creative wiring it will work with any trigger or selector as well , the beauty is you use all existing parts from the gear box through the hop and barrel, so if your gun is accurate to begin with, switching to a Wolverine should be easy.

Polar star or Wolverine? well too early to tell, cost difference go's to the Wolverine at $120 less and comes with a mini battery worth about $20 that the P* requires also but dose not come with. more models that can take the Wolverine gets the nod also! my P* was almost a compete drop in with zero modifying, only tuning as it seems HPA guns want a good Hop chamber and good Hop rubber for best results.

next up with HPA is converting my MP7 mags for HPA, then I may either put a Wolverine in my M249 ? or complete the original HPA conversion of my Magpul Masada I started?

more to come ;)
you went FULL RETARD!!

Tjfast

Admin

Admin

Re: Wolverine HPA impressions!

Post2014-10-22 / 07:38 UTC GMT +00:00

Great write up lee....your making it hard on me not to pick up an hpa engine everyday!
Image.
Opr8r Surjunz MD
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB

cook-off

Re: Wolverine HPA impressions!

Post2014-10-22 / 16:33 UTC GMT +00:00

They are fun, initial investment is not cheap, Tank. hose and regulator will run $200, Engine $550 and then the donor gun! (get a good tank and regulator also, will pay off in the end)

but in comparison, I have $2500 into my FCC/PTW! :roll: and even though it feeds good, shoots straight and reliable, it still is not perfect! as many PTW owners will attest to.

ahhhh its airsoft, money is no object.
you went FULL RETARD!!

Return to General Chat