It is currently 2024-05-17 / 07:23 UTC GMT +00:00

Question for GBB & GBBR owners running propane...

General discussions about anything and everything Airsoft.
  • Author

MadHat

Question for GBB & GBBR owners running propane...

Post2014-07-07 / 08:09 UTC GMT +00:00

Hello again LMAG,

Seems like I've got a bunch of random questions lately... anyways, this time I've got a question directed towards all you GBB & GBBR users out there...

"Which brand of propane stinks the least?" :?

The question occurred to me while I was perusing through Canadian Tire in search of a can of Krylon when I happened to stumble upon their camping section and noticed their Coleman 3 pack deal. I was already planning on picking up a couple cans of propane for my GBB's but since I've only been using green gas up until this point and would prefer not to stink up the house and irk the family with the smell, it'd probably be prudent to take a bit of time to find a brand that smells the least and won't induce a gag reflex. Though, I've generally only seen the 1lb cans of Coleman camp propane at Canadian Tire or Walmart so I'm not actually sure if there are any other brands readily available around Vancouver.

I dug around on ASC, but the latest thread on the topic was from 08 and most of the guys there are over on the East coast (no idea if we have the same selection of propane here) so its probably better to ask some local players and see if they have an answer.

Thanks again!
Madhat :mrgreen:

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Re: Question for GBB & GBBR owners running propane...

Post2014-07-07 / 14:00 UTC GMT +00:00

Propane itself is pretty much odorless. There is a an additive in it to make it smell bad, ethyl mercaptan, or some derivation if it for safety reasons. From one brand to the next, even between types like cooking and torch, they are all about the same. I'd recommend discharging outside only for safety and smell, but to each their own. The alternative is "green gas", which is a product engineered for airsoft and similar. Green gas "is" propane, but with only silicone oil added, and therefore has no odor. It is usually a cleaner product as well and so is found to be easier on your gun and seals long term, the silicone oil helps. The downside to green gas is the cost per canister versus propane cylinders at say Canadian Tire, it can be double or more. Find green gas at your local airsoft store. Also, the general green gas canister is just a aerosol style can and lacks the strength of the propane cylinders, so keep them away from heat, sunlight, etc.
I never wear an emblem, garment or title I have not earned. I never pretend to be, claim to be nor impersonate someone or something I am not. I never diminish, disrespect nor depreciate the sacrifices of true heroes. I utilize military style gear, equipment and tactics as they are the best and most appropriate tools for the job. I am a combat sports athlete.

Team SWATT: Recruiting
ASC Age Verifier (Greater Vancouver)

DrunkenTeddy

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-07-07 / 14:04 UTC GMT +00:00

Personally I use green gas if I'm testing a gun at home and propane for game days. Seems to be a good balance.
VFC Noveske M4 - Echo1 Platinum M16 - G&G Top Tech RK47 - Ares Stoner LMG
TM MK23 Socom - KJW Glock 23 - KJW P226

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-07-07 / 15:00 UTC GMT +00:00

I find that the 1lb canisters usually reek to high heaven. but once they are 100% empty I refill mine off of a 20LB tank. For some reason I found that the odor was a LOT more tolerable.

MadHat

Post2014-07-07 / 16:23 UTC GMT +00:00

I'm somewhat familiar w/ the differences between green gas & propane but thanks for the refresher. The can of green gas I got from Milsig last December has lasted me a good will for the occasional T&E at home but I've got an AI adapter & oil pump kit so the plan is green gas for home testing & propane for games. But even for outdoors, I'd prefer to source a brand of propane that doesn't have an overwhelming odor if possible

I've read various comments on a number of forums say that the Coleman's had the worst odor (like Gunny) and numerous contradicting comments stating they smelled the least and everything inbetween so its somewhat confusing for me :S

I also haven't seen any bernzomatic or other brands readily available here so I might just have to use the Coleman's for now..

Refilling out of a 20lb tank is a little out of my comfort zone so that's out of the question for me.

cook-off

Post2014-07-07 / 16:33 UTC GMT +00:00

I have two can of bernzomatic, one propane and one MAP, both are too strong for indoors,
you went FULL RETARD!!

DrunkenTeddy

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-07-07 / 17:56 UTC GMT +00:00

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/164-oz- ... gas/984066

No idea if it is more powerful than coleman as cook-off has indicated, and no idea if it smells any less or more than coleman, but that seems to be the only coleman alternative locally available.
VFC Noveske M4 - Echo1 Platinum M16 - G&G Top Tech RK47 - Ares Stoner LMG
TM MK23 Socom - KJW Glock 23 - KJW P226

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-07-07 / 20:23 UTC GMT +00:00

Bernzomatic propane will be at Canadian Tire. Garb the blue bottles, they'll be locked up with the torch/soldering crap.
I never wear an emblem, garment or title I have not earned. I never pretend to be, claim to be nor impersonate someone or something I am not. I never diminish, disrespect nor depreciate the sacrifices of true heroes. I utilize military style gear, equipment and tactics as they are the best and most appropriate tools for the job. I am a combat sports athlete.

Team SWATT: Recruiting
ASC Age Verifier (Greater Vancouver)

Return to General Chat