It is currently 2024-03-29 / 05:57 UTC GMT +00:00

Preferred radio channels

General discussions about anything and everything Airsoft.
  • Author

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Re: Preferred radio channels

Post2014-04-17 / 05:06 UTC GMT +00:00

I thought FRS only radios were gone now and the only ones offered were combination FRS-GMRS radios. So I suggested we acknowledge that and switch over to the stronger channels.

If players can still buy FRS-only radios, we should definitely stay on the low-power channels.

We could demonstrate to players how to relay messages by doing it in game.
Steyr AUG EOD / FN P90 - Bullpups
Linux - my OS is an Abrams tank

Greatness is only a matter of will. It is the end result of patience, determination, direction, and strength. [JMS]
UrT - ETQW (Constructor/Oppressor) - Nexiuz // VE7DET
301 admins

jethro

Post2014-04-18 / 00:49 UTC GMT +00:00

just to clarify our team has a combination of motorola sabers and puxing type radios. The sabers only go up to ch 12 the puxing ch 25.The last three channels on each are for our team freqencies.
better to keep your mouth shut and be presumed a fool
rather to open it and remove all doubt

don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance
my calmness for acceptance
or my kindness for weakness

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Post2014-04-18 / 02:02 UTC GMT +00:00

Sabres are programmable commercial radios, if you have the software and a 386 you can re-program them.

But more to the point, your channel numbers may not match the LMAG list anyway.

Greatness is only a matter of will. It is the end result of patience, determination, direction, and strength. [JMS]
301 admins

jethro

Post2014-04-18 / 02:47 UTC GMT +00:00

we do have them programed properly
better to keep your mouth shut and be presumed a fool
rather to open it and remove all doubt

don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance
my calmness for acceptance
or my kindness for weakness

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Post2014-04-18 / 02:58 UTC GMT +00:00

So, that's a plus.

Too bad about the Sabres -- I believe you said they are set up with the FRS channels 1 to 9 and your three Pimps freqs -- so if you had an old 386 computer and the programming kit, you could update them to GMRS 15 to 22 with 5 team channel spots. E-Z, P-Z.

I imagine the Puxing's are programmed with the full set of FRS-GMRS frequencies, so those are good to go already.

301 admins

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Post2014-10-25 / 05:52 UTC GMT +00:00

DrunkenTeddy wrote:There are some players that only have FRS radios, some of these radios only have 14 channels. I think we would want to include everyone possible in the communications within the assigned teams. This is just my opinion but I think team channels need to stay below 14 despite the shorter range. Admin channels can go above 15 but as I mentioned I think all admins use UHF radios anyways so the point is somewhat moot.

Something to add: in milsims, we could easily have the command group using three radios:
  1. Admin
  2. Command (on a GMRS channel, 15-22)
  3. Squads (on a radio scanning FRS channels 1-14 for stragglers)
Then we might structure the nets like this:
  • squad leaders need GMRS at the least
  • regular players need only have some FRS radio

301 admins

Claymore

Admin

Admin

Post2014-11-05 / 07:50 UTC GMT +00:00

Hey late to the party here Not sure if anyone is still on this subject?

Jsae that would be a lot of radio juggling :shock:

The main point that Jsae is trying to point out is that most of the North American marketed radios FRS-GMR (Bubble Pack Radios) are pre programmed to run on .5watt in the 1ch. to 10 ch. and the upper channels are boosted to the limit of 2Watts automatically.
A lot of of the radios that you buy off the shelves today in canada are pinned at 1.5 watt. hard to find 2 Watt off the shelve in Canada anymore.

Now the offshore ones they are whatever the radio is capable of do. Most can be programed from 1Watt to 8Watts or a Hi / Low setting for the out put.

Just to be clear the law in Canada is that if you are running a UHF /VHF radio over 2 Watts you are responsible as an individual to register and obtain a licence to operate it. :roll: ;)

You must stay on the designated 22 public channels. If you are not using the designated channel you can find yourselves in a heap of Legal problems. Especially using off FRS/GMR channels in the city or Urban areas. You can be found.

There are links on this forum that you can check to see if you do have a programmable radio you can check to see if the channels are totally tuned in and match the Channel number. There has been a few guys the show up with there radios totally not tuned in.

Shoot you later ;)
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB.
BA L3 Certified Sniper.

cook-off

Post2014-11-05 / 17:46 UTC GMT +00:00

Has anyone ever been busted or warned at any of the PP fields that we are aware of? in all the years I have played I haven't herd of any officials warning the PP fields where radios are commonly used all the time?
you went FULL RETARD!!

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Post2014-11-07 / 05:15 UTC GMT +00:00

Industry Canada inspectors go where the complaints are to be more effective.

Mindful use of your radios will prevent complaints and therefore prevent the inspectors coming looking for you.

Interference includes when your signals bleed over to harmonic frequencies, when your signals block the users of the licenced frequencies, and when your signals cause static for the users of other frequencies.

I have two concerns
  1. making it easier for players with GMRS and FRS radios to be part of the overall comm nets
    • using the FRS/GMRS as squad (PRR) radios means basic players don't need a super (aka command) radio
    • squad leaders would need to carry 2 radios (their squad PRR plus a command radio - slight downside)
    • team leaders or HQ bases would need to have 2 radios (their squad PRR plus a command radio)
  2. preventing negative attention from Industry Canada

I'd love it if
  • we could get our own set of frequencies ("commercial" licenses)
  • we could set up a mobile repeater (needs licence but could become a target during game play)
  • we could get a group of RTO's licensed as amateurs (cheaper, radios have MUCH better ranger, plus advanced amateurs can set up a repeater)

301 admins

Claymore

Admin

Admin

Post2014-11-07 / 06:11 UTC GMT +00:00

NOW I'm feeling old, It was in the late 90 there was that young worker that some how fell into the garbage compactor over in Coquitlam at Waste Tech? Soon after that, most company's with medium to large maintenance crews started to mandate the use of radios were employees are not always in sight around moving equipment. The problem was most companies were not willing to dish out $800 to $1200 per industrial radio pick any brand they were and are still not cheep.

Anyway about that time Motorola came out with the SPIRIT SU21they were industrial grade single channel radio for around $300 we sold hundreds. now I had a customers that were using the UHF radio's in North East Richmond. They had 6 to 8 radios going, two different departments. As most of you know with only One channel and guys not knowing proper radio etiquette things can get out of control fast. The company do not want to spend $1000 per radio. (that is or was the cost for a decent Industrial 4 to 6 Channel Motorola radios).

To make a long story short some manager got a hold of 10 radios from over-seas and the channels that were setup just happen to be the same channel setup of two different river tugboat company's running in the Fraser River that had licenses to use those channels for their business operations. They were not impressed and got the land lovers to stop using their new radios by the authorities Government.

The thing is as long as we stay on the 22 allowable channels we will be OK.
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB.
BA L3 Certified Sniper.
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat