It is currently 2024-05-02 / 08:22 UTC GMT +00:00

RVW: PTS MASADA

• Author

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

RVW: PTS MASADA

Post2013-04-18 / 15:06 UTC GMT +00:00

PTS Masada.

I don’t know what it was that intrigued me with the PTS Masada, but as soon as I saw one I knew I had to get one. I think what interested me most of all is its Lego style body. With the ability to go from a 330 FPS bullet hose to a 450FPS DMR in less than 3 minutes definitely got me thinking.

Externals

All I can say about the externals is WOW. The gun is beautifully crafted and stays true to the real steel counterpart. The attention to detail is amazing. The Polymer lower is textured in all the right places with the Magpul logo. The AEG has a healthy weight to it without being so heavy you can’t complete a full day with it. One piece monolithic rail system is excellent for mounting optics, lasers, or flashlight. Pair that with a Mogul MOE compatible front hand guard and your ability to customize and tinker knows no bounds. If your Pockets are deep enough you can even purchase new barrel lengths, folding/collapsible stocks, front aluminum hand guards or a new complete lower to change the style of magazine is uses.
10/10

Internals.

Here is where I have mixed feeling with this AEG. The Internal gearbox is a proprietary version 2/3 gearbox. Visually it looks like a V2 but it has a motor cage like a V3. There are internal parts that are proprietary (trigger switch, gearbox shell, nozzle, trigger micro switch, spring guide.). Parts that coincide with the v2 gearbox are piston, piston head, cylinder, and cylinder head. The motor is a short type AK motor. And of course all hop up parts and accessories are proprietary to Magpul PTS. Here is one big complaint I have with this AEG. They decided to go with a proprietary trigger switch with the intent to increase the trigger response, but they put in a subpar trigger system that will eventually burn out with the use of high discharge batteries like an 11.1 LiPo. It would have been so much better if it came stock with a Mosfet chip that re roughs the electrical current around the trigger switch.
6/10

Out of the box field use.

So you spent 700-900 bucks on this pretty awesome looking AEG. Your first impression is well I am going to toss in a battery and be a rock star on the next game day right?.... Wrong! You would expect an AEG costing as much as it does to be better out of the box but sadly this isn’t so. First and foremost the clear piston that comes with the gun is garbage. There have been reports that a quick burst of full auto is all it takes to strip it. Since you can’t take the piston head off of the stock piston you need to spend more money on a new one of those. Stock motor is also lacking in torque and speed. With a 400FPS spring installed, my Masada had a very tough time turning the gears over with a 7.4v LiPo. And when you toss in a 11.1 LiPo it will turn over the gears but it’s sluggish. The stock nozzle for some reason is shorter than it should be. Jasper (MILSIG employee) makes custom brass nozzles that are .8mm longer which greatly increases your air seal with the hop up rubber. So out of the box these three things cost me around $130 dollars.

Range report

On a stock configuration, with a 400fps spring installed expect to just be able to over hop a .25 at its max setting. Range with the .25 is decent but it left me with something to be desired.
7/10

Final thought,

As frustrating as this AEG can be, for some reason I can’t bring myself to sell it. I keep sinking money into it by buying new accessories. If you are someone who has the intent to tinker with it, then this is definitely for you. If you want to be able to just throw in a battery and start gaming then maybe look for a more TM compatible platform.

Cheers fella’s.

Claymore

Admin

Admin

Re: PTS MASADA

Post2013-04-22 / 06:54 UTC GMT +00:00

Hey Gunny,

I tried the Reaps #2 hopup rubber in it from reading some info from other guys tinkering around with them. I found it was not working right, the BB's were all over the place.
I was looking into the r-hop setup and after talking to Dice I was thinking of giving it ago. So after huming and hauing about it. I figured I would try some new bucking that a supplier had told me that he has been suppling a major retailer with these buckings. They come in three different hardnesses the nub is a "W " or fanged, I put one in that matched my spring and had no problem instilling the barrel.

Great hopup reaction shooting at 395fps.+/- .5fps. with .28's @220ft before droping.
This pass Saturday Dice showed me the R-hop instaled in his G36K... very empressive flat line to 200ft. I thing I will order up the Z-KIt (R-hop), to see if it can get better.
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB.
BA L3 Certified Sniper.

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Re: PTS MASADA

Post2013-04-22 / 15:06 UTC GMT +00:00

I also tried using a Reaps or a+ bucking and had no luck myself. I found that the nub is so big that with the hop up turned on 30% it would jam the BB. Thus far I am very happy with accuracy from the madbull bucking and prommy barrel.

I had a long hard hmmmm about the Rhop and I just can’t bring myself to do it. Don’t get me wrong, once installed correctly its very impressive but I can’t justify all that work for a unit that cannot be adjusted on the fly, and that's only going to get me 20ish feet more effective range. I rather just get 20 feet closer or aim a bit higher. One day some poor sucker will show me how do the install correctly and ill crack and toss one in, but for now I guess I’ll stick with my bucking.

Return to AEG