It is currently 2024-05-05 / 18:05 UTC GMT +00:00

Red Dot vs Holographic vs Magnified+Accuracy help

Tips waiting for promotion to Airsoft Info
Forum rules Marshals and Admins move posts here before writing them up into the Airsoft Info wiki
  • Author

Steel

Red Dot vs Holographic vs Magnified+Accuracy help

Post2013-08-29 / 21:08 UTC GMT +00:00

Ive looked around google and there is no comparison of these three. First off, given that airsoft guns are not the most long distance items in the world, is an acog or scope justified for a simple aeg or do people just put them on for looks? Also between red dot and holo, ive never really seen someone with a red dot at a field skirmish. Is it just because i havent been looking or is there a reason for this? Lastly, ive realized afterbplaying a backyard game with some friends that im not the most accurate person in the world because while they seemed to hit me with springers (375 fps) yet i couldnt hit them with my aeg (330fps) as my shots seemed to curve left and right unpredictably. This was about 100-120 feet away. Is this because of my gun, the weather conditions or because of my personal accuracy? Also if its the first two please tell me how to improve. I think once i get better goggles ill be able to line up shots better but that wont help if its a different issue.
I wasn't the one who brought a knife to a gun fight, you're the one who brought a gun to a knife fight.

Meatshower

Member in Good Standing

Re: Red Dot vs Holographic vs Magnified+Accuracy help

Post2013-08-29 / 21:21 UTC GMT +00:00

Well, when It comes to sights, I have ran an ACOG and also a red dot/ fake holo. And to be honest, my opinion is get a red-dot with a flip magnifier. That way you have the best of both worlds. You can go from engaging some one 70-100 feet away with your red dot, to taking well aimed shots at a target 150+ feet away with just a flip of a scope.Where with an ACOG/set mag'd scope you can't really engage something up too close and have the same situatuonal awareness that'd you would have with a red-dot due to your eye eight is concentrated forward therefore causing a bit of tunnel vision. And if you're running just a red-dot/holo, you can still engage targets that are out there, but you can't really adjust your shots well if you're missing your target.

Im running a knock off Aimpoint 3x mag with flip mount with a knock off EOTech 551 and love the combo. Next time I'm down for a game, feel free to come up and ask to try it out.

As for the BB's curving, well it could be a number of things. Barrel isn't sitting straight, hop-up bucking isn't centered. Bring it out to a game day and I'm pretty sure some one (i.e. gunny, claymore) could get that fixed up toot-sweet.

Also, what kind of BBs were you using in this backyard skirmish (which you shouldn't do because all it takes is one neighbour to confuse them with real weapons and call the RCMP)? Because if it was anything less then .20s (ie .12s) that would explain it.
Oh Herro Prease.
I've been around the lower mainland twice, shot everyone once.
No Glock I can't rock
no field fee too high
no drive too far
no SIM too long
no walk to hard
learned a lot of lessons on the field.
lunch is for pussies,
I've heard pistons strip
I seen players slip
I'm a marine I'm a seal, depending on how I feel
never use low quality bb's in a high quality gun
.20's are for chronoing
.12's are for kids
no enemy too far, no gear too queer
I wear more then I have
any gun worth hauling is worth overhauling.
I participate, I operate I don't discriminate,
I'm a rooting tooting bb shooting
Lower Mainland Airsoft Operator.
Opr8r Surjunz MD
"Watch your 6" here comes SGB

Steel

Post2013-08-29 / 22:01 UTC GMT +00:00

Meatshower wrote:Well, when It comes to sights, I have ran an ACOG and also a red dot/ fake holo. And to be honest, my opinion is get a red-dot with a flip magnifier. That way you have the best of both worlds. You can go from engaging some one 70-100 feet away with your red dot, to taking well aimed shots at a target 150+ feet away with just a flip of a scope.Where with an ACOG/set mag'd scope you can't really engage something up too close and have the same situatuonal awareness that'd you would have with a red-dot due to your eye eight is concentrated forward therefore causing a bit of tunnel vision. And if you're running just a red-dot/holo, you can still engage targets that are out there, but you can't really adjust your shots well if you're missing your target.

Im running a knock off Aimpoint 3x mag with flip mount with a knock off EOTech 551 and love the combo. Next time I'm down for a game, feel free to come up and ask to try it out.

As for the BB's curving, well it could be a number of things. Barrel isn't sitting straight, hop-up bucking isn't centered. Bring it out to a game day and I'm pretty sure some one (i.e. gunny, claymore) could get that fixed up toot-sweet.

Also, what kind of BBs were you using in this backyard skirmish (which you shouldn't do because all it takes is one neighbour to confuse them with real weapons and call the RCMP)? Because if it was anything less then .20s (ie .12s) that would explain it.
I was thinking of the flip to side magnifier except it seemed really expensive. Hopefully i can make it to a game soon and try it out.
My friend has acerage so we thought we would be okay and thats the only reason we do it.
As for bbs, i was using bb bastard .25 eco bbs and i'm using a g&g top tech tr418 light. Am I expecting too much out of my gun? it's already supposed to have 6.04 mm tightbore barrel so im kind of confused. probably seek someone out next time im at a game and have them take a look at it. Thanks for the help!

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-08-29 / 22:28 UTC GMT +00:00

Meatshower has it Bang On. Unless I’m sniping I prefer to use red dot sights/holo sights only. With 20-20 vision the engagement distances we have at our field don’t really need magnified optics. That being said they do help determine friend over foe. Meatshower did state that when looking through a magnified optic you get tube vision compared to a red dot both eyes are open and you are fully aware of your surroundings. Now a while ago I did a long write up on magnified optics vs. non magnified optics and for the life of me i can fine it.... OOOOH JSAE!!!!!!!....

Flip to the side magnifiers in theory are great... kina. to this day i have not looked through a x3 magnifier without having to have my eye right against the lens to get the full field of view. so for me I personally wouldn’t get one but for others it works.

and of course you have your players that have fancy optics installed but when they shoot they just look down the side of their weapon and follow the bb from muzzle to target. So if you are one of those players, save your money and get some iron sights. I personally sight in every optic I have for roughly 150ft. so i know under a stressful situation all i have to do it put the little red dot on my enemy and let loose.

Now accuracy wise that could be a lot of things, dirty barrel, dirty/worn out bucking, crappy inner barrel. Nub is out of place. Hop up chamber is leaking. hop up bucking choice/brand name/internal nub.

There are a ton of different accuracy related items out there, do some research and find what gives you the best accuracy. And of course bb weight. I find that .28's give me the best combination of speed and accuracy and less wind drift out of a sub 400FPS setup and .30-.36 for a 450fps DMR. And again FPS is not everything...

Gunny

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-08-29 / 22:38 UTC GMT +00:00

HUZZAH!!!

READ TINY GRASSHOPPER...READ

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=206

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=200

Meatshower

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-08-29 / 22:45 UTC GMT +00:00

GUNNY wrote:
to this day i have not looked through a x3 magnifier without having to have my eye right against the lens to get the full field of view

This is true. That is the case with my 3x mag. I pretty much have it right up against my goggles. But seeing that recoil is not an issue, it doesn't bother me.
Oh Herro Prease.
No Glock I can't rock
no field fee too high
no drive too far
no SIM too long
no walk to hard
lunch is for pussies,
I've heard pistons strip
I seen players slip
.20's are for chronoing
.12's are for kids
I wear more then I have
Opr8r Surjunz MD

Steel

Post2013-08-29 / 22:54 UTC GMT +00:00

Gunny wrote:Meatshower has it Bang On. Unless I’m sniping I prefer to use red dot sights/holo sights only. With 20-20 vision the engagement distances we have at our field don’t really need magnified optics. That being said they do help determine friend over foe. Meatshower did state that when looking through a magnified optic you get tube vision compared to a red dot both eyes are open and you are fully aware of your surroundings. Now a while ago I did a long write up on magnified optics vs. non magnified optics and for the life of me i can fine it.... OOOOH JSAE!!!!!!!....

Flip to the side magnifiers in theory are great... kina. to this day i have not looked through a x3 magnifier without having to have my eye right against the lens to get the full field of view. so for me I personally wouldn’t get one but for others it works.

and of course you have your players that have fancy optics installed but when they shoot they just look down the side of their weapon and follow the bb from muzzle to target. So if you are one of those players, save your money and get some iron sights. I personally sight in every optic I have for roughly 150ft. so i know under a stressful situation all i have to do it put the little red dot on my enemy and let loose.

Now accuracy wise that could be a lot of things, dirty barrel, dirty/worn out bucking, crappy inner barrel. Nub is out of place. Hop up chamber is leaking. hop up bucking choice/brand name/internal nub.

There are a ton of different accuracy related items out there, do some research and find what gives you the best accuracy. And of course bb weight. I find that .28's give me the best combination of speed and accuracy and less wind drift out of a sub 400FPS setup and .30-.36 for a 450fps DMR. And again FPS is not everything...
Alright so it seems that a magnified sight is not ideal. Now the question is red dot vs holo. I think im leaning towards holo as they seem more durable. Is this true or is it just me?

As for the gun, i just took it outside for a test and it seems in about every 20 shots i would end up with about 5 flyers. This was on a paper sized target at about 75 ft. Is this normal? Bad? Good? Will this be able to stand up against some of the more experienced players?

As for the problem, it could be a dirty barrel or hop up, but i highlydoubt worn out parts as the gun was only bought 2 weeks ago and used at 2 games. However ive never cleaned the gun as the person at the panther store told me not because many players will damage their guns in the process. However i persisted as many people on the internet said after every game you should clean the gun with silicone oil. However he once again said something completely different and suggested something called airsoft oil. I've never heard of it and would like someone to sed some light on this subject if possible.
I wasn't the one who brought a knife to a gun fight, you're the one who brought a gun to a knife fight.

Meatshower

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-08-29 / 23:11 UTC GMT +00:00

There isnt really a difference at all when it comes to red-dot and holographic when you're buying a sight less then $100. If you're considering buying a real steel Aimpoint or EO Tech, then yeah I'd do your research. But if you're just buying a $60 knock off sight from China, its pretty much the same principle with red-dots and holos. Red light/laser pointed or bounced of mirrors so that it appears in front of the user.

When it comes to cleaning, here's the way I was taught. Turn the hop-up all the way off. Put either a little bit of cut up cloth or paper towel in the little needle hole of the cleaning rod. Spray a little silicone lube or oil on it. Gently slide the rod in and pull it back out. Then do the same thing with a dry piece of cloth or paper towel. Repeat these steps twice and it should be good to go.
Oh Herro Prease.
No Glock I can't rock
no field fee too high
no drive too far
no SIM too long
no walk to hard
lunch is for pussies,
I've heard pistons strip
I seen players slip
.20's are for chronoing
.12's are for kids
I wear more then I have
Opr8r Surjunz MD

Steel

Post2013-08-30 / 01:35 UTC GMT +00:00

Meatshower wrote:There isnt really a difference at all when it comes to red-dot and holographic when you're buying a sight less then $100. If you're considering buying a real steel Aimpoint or EO Tech, then yeah I'd do your research. But if you're just buying a $60 knock off sight from China, its pretty much the same principle with red-dots and holos. Red light/laser pointed or bounced of mirrors so that it appears in front of the user.

When it comes to cleaning, here's the way I was taught. Turn the hop-up all the way off. Put either a little bit of cut up cloth or paper towel in the little needle hole of the cleaning rod. Spray a little silicone lube or oil on it. Gently slide the rod in and pull it back out. Then do the same thing with a dry piece of cloth or paper towel. Repeat these steps twice and it should be good to go.
Alright are there any sights u recommend? Im thinking eo tech replica.

As for cleaning thats what i was told on the internet. So should i just ignore the person at panther?

Meatshower

Member in Good Standing

Post2013-08-30 / 01:46 UTC GMT +00:00

For the cleaning part, I'm not gonna tell you to ignore the panther salesmen. I don't know if he has more or less experience then myself. All I'm gonna say is that's the technique I use on my primary which has a 6.01 TBB and it seems to work.

For the sight part. EO Techs look tacti-cool and pretty much are. But for some reason I can't seem to find any on of my favorite chinese websites. I have 2 knock off aimpoints (T1-Micro and M2) and they both work great. Pretty simple, zero the sight, put the red dot on what you wanna shoot. Apply trigger pressure. And Presto!!!
Oh Herro Prease.
No Glock I can't rock
no field fee too high
no drive too far
no SIM too long
no walk to hard
lunch is for pussies,
I've heard pistons strip
I seen players slip
.20's are for chronoing
.12's are for kids
I wear more then I have
Opr8r Surjunz MD
Next

Return to Notes