It is currently 2024-03-28 / 08:43 UTC GMT +00:00

Getting the most from your radio

Tips waiting for promotion to Airsoft Info
Forum rules Marshals and Admins move posts here before writing them up into the Airsoft Info wiki
  • Author

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Getting the most from your radio

Post2014-04-23 / 07:06 UTC GMT +00:00

You can find more information about radio use in the Radio Protocol section of Airsoft Info.

Here's a quick list of tips to refresh your radio knowledge.
  1. Listen a couple of seconds before you key the push-to-talk button and start talking, in case a higher priority message comes
  2. Hold the PTT key a half second before talking so your radio transmitter can engage
  3. Hold the PTT key a half second after you finish so your radio can finish sending
  4. Speak steadily and clearly so you sound good on the air
  5. Keep your messages brief (use pre-arranged phrases, if you can - refer to list)
  6. Sending intel you gather is more important than getting kills - stay alive to send your message

Ways to help stay brief (aka brevity):
  1. Plan your message before keying the PTT (writing it out may help - use your field message pad)
  2. Use short words and short phrases
  3. Use a simple message format: "You. This is Me. Package moving past Big Rock. Over"
  4. Drop clarifying phrases, such as "this is"
  5. Use pre-arranged phrases (list): "You. Me. Tally 5 northeast of Base. Over"
  6. Break up long messages to allow flash traffic to interrupt:
    • "You. Me. Message. Over"
    • "You. Me. Large enemy force spotted massing in northeast quadrant. Break" (pause 2 seconds)
    • "You. Me. Request reinforcements at 55-45 to attack. Over."

Ways to manage unclear transmissions:
  1. Change your location (our wavelength is 0.7 m, waterfilled branches and vegetation from 7 inches to 27 inches long will absorb your transmission)
  2. Get to higher ground
  3. Send your message using repeated words (works when transmissions received only in pieces):
    • "you you you. this is me me me. words twice. words twice. Tally Tally 5 5 north north of of base base. Over"
    • Repeat your whole message: "you you you. me me me. Tally 5 north of base. I say again Tally 5 north of base. Over"
  4. Get someone to relay your message: "buddy. me. relay message to base. over"... "buddy. me. message is tally 5 north of base. over"...
Hop over to Radio Protocol in Airsoft Info for examples of good radio conversations.
Steyr AUG EOD / FN P90 - Bullpups
Linux - my OS is an Abrams tank

Greatness is only a matter of will. It is the end result of patience, determination, direction, and strength. [JMS]
UrT - ETQW (Constructor/Oppressor) - Nexiuz // VE7DET
301 admins

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Re: Getting the most from your radio

Post2014-04-23 / 07:16 UTC GMT +00:00

When on radio, use breaks and pauses (where you let go of the PTT button) to allow higher priority messages to break in.

Like this:
Iceman wrote:Bushman. Iceman. Tally 4 moving west from Big Rock to Pit. Break

Deep6 wrote:Deep6

Iceman wrote:Deep6. Iceman. Go ahead. Over

Deep6 wrote:Pinoy. Deep6. Enemy about to overrun outpost, need reinforcements. out.

Pinoy wrote:Deep6. Pinoy. Roger, reinforcements coming from north. out

Iceman can continue after Deep6 sends his urgent message.
Iceman wrote:Bushman. Iceman. Rendezvous at Hill 30 to attack force from Big Rock. Over

Pogo Radio Protocol in Airsoft Info for more.

Greatness is only a matter of will. It is the end result of patience, determination, direction, and strength. [JMS]
301 admins

Ricochet

Member in Good Standing

Post2014-04-23 / 13:17 UTC GMT +00:00

Plus 1 for keeping messages "brief".

Player 1: "this is um, that guy. I spotted an enemy near the big tree. Ya know, the tree that looks like all the other big trees, but it has slightly more moss on it? There might 3 or 4 of them, and I think.....no wait, they don't have a sniper with them, my bad, my bad. But anyways, etc, etc, etc, etc. Hey, did you watch Game of Thrones las night?"

Player 2: "you're breaking up."

Reality: Because the channel was taken up by your soliloquy, blue base got rolled, your front line fighters couldn't call for back up, and your scouting party couldn't warn you of the reinforcements. Congratulations, you're a goof.
I never wear an emblem, garment or title I have not earned. I never pretend to be, claim to be nor impersonate someone or something I am not. I never diminish, disrespect nor depreciate the sacrifices of true heroes. I utilize military style gear, equipment and tactics as they are the best and most appropriate tools for the job. I am a combat sports athlete.

Team SWATT: Recruiting
ASC Age Verifier (Greater Vancouver)

cook-off

Post2014-04-23 / 17:47 UTC GMT +00:00

Very very useful jsae!!

at least once a game I unplug my head set due to useless radio chatter and continual message over run from mulipal parties.
you went FULL RETARD!!

Crash

Admin

Admin

Post2014-04-24 / 16:44 UTC GMT +00:00

Ricochet, that is too funny. But sadly true!!!! I heard more than one complaint that day about the idle chat on comms. I think it is time to give the boys a little back to school lesson on proper radio use. I guess it was good that all I had was the camera.

cook-off

Post2014-04-25 / 06:14 UTC GMT +00:00

trouble is getting them all to use one first?

then we need a lesson in proper radio procedure (and please not the Hollywood American version!)
you went FULL RETARD!!

jsae

Secretary

Secretary

Post2014-04-25 / 06:30 UTC GMT +00:00

We can try to let everyone know on the air using shorthand, too.

I believe we have three ways to run radios to keep brevity in line
  1. get everyone to understand what it means when you hear "Brevity" as the message on air
  2. use a directed net format -- I could act as the Net Control operator (with a guard) and each sender would send their message "to" net control
  3. always run two channels per faction: the command net and the squad net

Gently reminding people on air
  • at end of safety meeting remind group what a radio message containing "brevity" means
  • that is, "brevity" means next time use a much shorter more pointed message
  • when the channel clears after a poorly formed message, at least one admin on the team sends the reminder message
  • experienced players make every effort to exemplify brevity, too
chatty wrote:Chatty to Airmax. We have somedumghi cornered on the far side of the long road over behind the trail on the way to the enemy base. Over

airmax wrote:Chatty. This is Airmax. Brevity. Break

airmax wrote:Chatty. Airmax. Location? Over

Pogo Radio Protocol in Airsoft Info for more.

301 admins

Return to Notes